Friday, March 18, 2011

spiritual coffee has an equally sobering effect

I admit, sometimes I sit down to blog and so many jumbled thoughts pour out of me that seem so random. But somehow, by God's Word, I am able to tie them all together  and see a reoccurring pattern in it all...

I visited my family in Charleston, which was amazing. I saw how much the church body has grown in number and in faith. Of course this made me proud. I am proud of God, and what He has done with a few families and a little faith.  I spent quality time with people I care about, my heart was so full. I had a lot of time to reflect on my life here in CO. There are a lot of changes on the horizon: changes in friendships/relationships, change in ministry, change in my home, change in my heart. It was all very sobering.

The hard part is being away from my husband for over 2 weeks with close to no contact.  It was hard to hear about the devastation in Japan and the terror in Libya, and not to have my strong other-half wrap protective arms around me. It's a very vulnerable place to be. Again, sobering.
This morning I was prepared for the day, or so I thought, with my large cup of coffee. The first phone call proved me wrong. After a string of various text messages, e-mails, phone calls and conversations, I was numb. 2 friends with a brain masses, a baby with a tumor, a friend in emergency surgery... I needed a lot more than coffee this morning. So I turned to my spiritual coffee, which has an equally sobering effect....


Matthew 24


Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?

And Jesus answered and said to them: Take heed that no once deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many. And you will hear of wars, and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.  

For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows....and because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 

You're probably thinking, "That's not comforting." 
I didn't say it was, it was sobering. Jesus says later in the chapter: 
"Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect."
Am I ready? Honestly, no.

I spend most of my time entertaining myself. Whether it be with forever 21, facebook, twitter, netflix, starbucks, pilates, ulta, q'doba. It's all so frivolous! It has no substance. No wonder we are hollow. Where's the eternal substance and quality that my life should consist of? 

I've made a few commitments these past few days, to myself and my maker. As a result, I hope I can have a more abundant, fulfilling life with more eternal quality:


1. I am committed to spend time with my maker and author of my life, in His word and in prayer.
2. I am committed to be vocal about my relationship to Him whenever a natural opportunity arises. (Which is a lot more often than one would think.) 
3. I am committed to start reading more books that will challenge me intellectually and in my faith in replacement of the entertainment that often consumes me. 


In closing, I want to say, please understand where I am coming from. I am not condoning anyone for enjoying life. But in light of the disintegration of our world, and our friends and loved ones who are hurting, let's examine ourselves and what really matters.

"Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming."

































No comments:

Post a Comment