Friday, September 28, 2012

So you say you love the Lord...

I admit moving to SC was not my first choice. Neither was being a pastors wife, or even a mom for that matter. There was actually a point in my life where I never wanted children. God in His grace has moved me inch by inch, mile by mile to obey His will for my life. The most amazing part about it is not that He changed my heart, although that is a miracle in itself, but that I have found joy. It's real genuine joy. One I never had in pursuit of the things I thought I wanted or the things that "felt right."

I have had a lot on my mind lately about what it means to be a follower of Christ and what it should look like when we claim Him as Lord. God is so amazing as He answered all my questions in my study today. It's a bit long so don't feel obligated, but if you are curious as I was, read on...

I read from John 14:25-31
I got so much from the whole passage, but it would take too much time to share it all so I'lll just share with you the last verse.

14:31 "But that the world may know that I love the Father, as the Father gave me commandment so I do."

Jesus leaves us with the example of what loving God means. He Himself obeys the Father to show the world He loves the Father! 

It's an interesting thing to me how vague people assume God's will to be. As long as we are all nice and don't judge each other God will think us good enough. I am beginning to wonder how anyone who reads God's word could come to that conclusion? Unless of coarse it is not really believed to be the word of God. (If that happens to be you and you really do want to know for yourself, look up a book called 7 Reasons Why You Can Trust The Bible. It's great.)

God's will for us is simple:
1. Love Him
2. Obey His commands.

In doing this we should fall naturally into the things people preach at us: "love, don't judge."

Yes......but first....obey God. 

Care about what HE says FIRST. Do you think he will be fooled in the end assuming, "Well they didn't really obey most of my commands but they sure loved people. And they didn't judge."
I think He will say what he ALREADY said:

 "Not everyone who says to me 'Lord Lord' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but He who does the will of my father in heaven." -Matthew 7:21

I admit I have lived so much of my life selfishly. I am not perfect at all. In fact I'm so far from it. Taking this step of submission to move to SC has been the most difficult one to date, but in return the most rewarding! God is so beautiful. He asks us to show Him our love, then He gives so much more to us. 

So you say you love the Lord? Prove it! The reward is greater than we could ever imagine.

"Lord, let me follow your example in every way. Help me to submit to Your call and show the world how much I love you..."

No comments:

Post a Comment